Monday, August 9, 2010

I Never Ever Thought...

I would on-line date. EVER. EVER. EVER. The topic of conversation with close friends recently has been consumed by the free web dating service Okcupid and how the singles in our crew have dabbled in it, are currently on it or have some really funny/fucked up dating stories from it.

Soooo, tonight I uploaded my profile. I had incredible trepidation and anxiety "going there" for so long and feeling like what is wrong with me if I have to on-line date in a city of almost 9 million people!! I asked a very dear friend (who wants to remain anonymous) that recently uploaded their profile a few weeks ago and has had some relatively normal correspondence with (what seem to be) unmarried men and nobody on a sex offender list. I emailed her this afternoon asking the simple question: Is it weird? Her response is below, which is golden by the way...

"And yes there has been one cute guy that's contacted me but it's still weird. Everyone I know who's on it says it takes time. Be prepared, if you join, there are tons of dogs. But isn't that the same in real life? It's all about odds, I guess. I think it's worth it. If nothing more than for a distraction. And you'll potentially get a date/good story out of it."

So, if anything guys, my on-line (antithesis of organic) dating experience, if nothing else, will be great fodder for the blog. Stay tuned...

Must quickly add: I've already been 'winked' at by a guy named Bacon Playboy and another person that likes my hair. Oh, boy - this isn't going to last long...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh boy ---- have fun dear valerie. it will supply endless topics for your blog ....... btw--- fabulous picture -- your skin looks incredible!

Nanook of New York said...

Leslie!! I am so cringing that you know I'm on-line dating. Who the fuck would have thought, right?

Update: I collect Kodak Brownie cameras and someone "messaged" me asking me if it was a kind of fortune cookie?" This is not going to work. I already knew it before I tossed my profile into the ethernet.

This is humiliating. I'm giving it two weeks tops and then deleting. I'm considering it a social experiment for now. It's the only way it makes it palatable.

Thanks for the skin compliment darling. I am using rosewater as a toner - in the Mexican food aisle at the grocery store.

XOXO, V.

Miss Suhy said...

omg- quit being so analog!

Nanook of New York said...

Whatever Erin. I'm giving it a few weeks and that's it. In the meantime, I've got dogs and distractions to look forward too.

Yay, me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...